let's find your new home
Search for Real Estate in and around Nanaimo
Consulting a REALTOR®
REALTORS® are members of The Canadian Real Estate Association who subscribe to a Code of Ethics and Standards of Business Practice. Members of the Victoria Real Estate Board are members of both the British Columbia and Canadian Real Estate Associations.The following is a list of services you can expect to receive from a REALTOR® when you buy a home:
- A REALTOR® will fully explain the details of your working relationship (called "agency") so that you are clear as to when a REALTOR® is working for you or for the seller.
- A REALTOR® has access to hundreds of current listings of homes for sale because of a co- operative system called the Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®).
- A REALTOR® can provide you with a customized list of homes that best meet your needs -- size, style, features, location, proximity to schools, shopping, etc. - and then make arrangements for you to view those homes that appeal to you the most.
- A REALTOR® will help you determine how big a home you can afford. REALTORs® are familiar with the local lending market and can offer helpful advice.
- A REALTOR® has no emotional ties to any type or style of home and can be objective in pointing out the merits of one home over another.
- A REALTOR® will have information on zoning changes, taxes, utility costs and school and recreation services that could affect your decision to buy a home in a specific area.
- A REALTOR® will assist you in negotiating the terms of your purchase, which can be a nerve- wracking process for someone who is not experienced in negotiating.
- A REALTOR® will advise you of the legal process required in obtaining title and taking possession of your property; the costs associated with buying a home such as insurance, mortgage registration and legal fees will be explained in detail.
Source: Victoria Real Estate Board 2015
Selling Your Home - Why it Pays to Use a REALTOR®
Before selling your home, you will need a clear understanding of the legal issues and potential pitfalls. One wrong action could result in a lot of cost and frustration, which is why it is essential to have a REALTOR® working with you, as he or she will make the sale of your home a successful and satisfying experience.Greater exposure
REALTORS® use the Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®) to give your home maximum exposure. MLS® is a computer-based system that relays valuable information about your home to hundreds of REALTORS® and potential homebuyers.Setting a price
Setting a price for your home is an important but difficult process. Again, this is where the services of a REALTOR® prove invaluable. REALTORS® have the experience to help you understand how the market works and decide upon a realistic price that meets your goals. REALTORS® also pre-screen potential buyers to make sure only those who are serious and financially qualified view your home.
REALTORS® will also develop a marketing plan to help your property receive maximum exposure. This will likely include placing your home on the MLS® system and placing a "For Sale" sign on the front lawn. The plan will likely also include arranging open houses for other REALTORS® and potential buyers, and developing advertisements and feature sheets/mailers to market your home.
Once you have accepted an offer to buy your home, your REALTOR® will help ensure that all the proper paperwork is completed. He or she will also make sure that both parties meet the necessary conditions outlined in the agreement.Why working with a REALTOR® makes sense
When you work with a REALTOR® you will likely get a better price for your home than if you try to sell it yourself. Apart from the financial benefits, however, there is an extra measure of comfort and security that comes from having a REALTOR® on your side. Remember that REALTORS® are governed by a code of ethics and standards of business practice. They have also been trained and licensed under the provincial Real Estate Services Act to assist in transactions involving real property. When it comes to buying or selling property, using a REALTOR® just makes sense.
Source: Victoria Real Estate Board 2015
Though I have been in real estate since early in 2007, 2013 is the year that I finally had the opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream – moving to beautiful Vancouver Island! After many years of taking every opportunity to travel here for vacations, I moved to Nanaimo with my daughter and her two young sons from central Alberta. Leaving behind the cold winters and hectic lifestyle, I am thoroughly enjoying everything that island lifestyle offers – wonderfully mild weather, warm and welcoming people and a more relaxed, less stressful lifestyle. The ocean, mountains and forests offer so much to explore and enjoy – surely there is no better place to call home!
Being able to continue my career in real estate of course allows me to be able to meet many new people and help them find what they’re looking for – that special house that says “Welcome Home!” I consider myself very fortunate to be able to indulge in two of the great passions of my life – working in real estate and absorbing every aspect of life on Vancouver Island.
For most of us purchasing a home is one of the biggest and most
important investments we will ever make. While there is a thrill and
excitement in starting another chapter of our lives in a new location,
perhaps a new community or even a new province, there is also often the
unsettling feeling of the unknown.
As a realtor I believe it’s my responsibility to make every effort to minimize the risk of the unknown and maximize the excitement and satisfaction of that adventure for my clients. From the first contact to the day you take possession of your new home or lock the door for the last time, I am committed to going that extra mile to ensure you have a satisfying and successful transaction.
It’s what I would want from a realtor and I firmly believe that real estate should be a service industry – we are here to provide a valuable service and I take great pride in providing the best service I possibly can for my clients.
So whether you are buying your first home, downsizing from a large
family home to a more manageable strata, moving to a larger home to
accommodate a growing family or re-locating from afar, I am here to help
in any way I can. If I don’t already have the answers to your
questions, I’ll find them for you and can draw from a wealth of
knowledge in past successful real estate transactions and the many
resources available through the vast networking that I have set up.
I am committed to providing my clients with the best service possible – it’s what I have always done and what I fully expect to continue to do.